If you have tried everything to save your marriage, but nothing is working out, it is better to get separated. No doubt, it is very painful, distressing and probably one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. But when your marriage is beyond repair, it is the time to consult with a divorce attorney who is familiar with the local laws.
Legal issues associated with divorce are complex, and only a specialist divorce attorney can help you navigate this difficult situation. The attorney you engage with will represent you for numerous months, or a year or even more, which means having the right attorney can make the divorce procedure quite straightforward for you and your family. Continue reading if you want to learn the most important key points to select a divorce attorney in Rockland County NY.
Here are 5 key points to consider before you hire an attorney:
1. Determine your circumstances– In most divorce cases, especially when kids are not involved and both parties have agreed to divorce, it is not required to go through a legal process. But, if either party is not ready or both parties have some conflicts in regards of assets, child custody, spousal support and maintenance, it is essential to seek for an experienced divorce lawyer who can protect and look after your rights.
2. Understanding of family laws– Every marriage is special and a separation affects two families, particularly if you are a mom or dad. It is a sensitive issue and must be handled with care. The divorce lawyer you hire must be able to address your overall well being and he or she should have thorough knowledge of family laws. As it is a family affair, family counseling may help. Determine from how long an attorney is practiced in this field. Check the biography, past work and specialization of the attorneys within family law.
3. Ask for referrals – Just because an attorney gives a positive statement in your favor, doesn’t indicate that he or she will be supportive throughout the process. Ask him for some referrals of the old and existing clients and contact them. Also, you can ask for your friends and family to recommend a divorce attorney in Rockland County if they have been through a divorce.
4. Interview potential attorneys – Do some research and short list some reputed and experienced divorce lawyers in Westchester county NY. Then, approach them personally to get a closer idea about their work, personality and knowledge. Start with an initial phone call or leave a message/e-mail. Ask about their practices, specialties and past cases within family law. Usually, a brief initial consultation is offered for free; have benefits of this facility and discuss your situation and ask about their legal approach for your matter. You must ask about the cost as well before signing any contract with an attorney.
5. Support and resources – A divorce case includes financial professionals, forensic appraisers, parenting counselors and other similar supporting professionals. Find out whether your attorney has access to these resources. You must understand that you are not the only client of your divorce attorney in Rockland County has. He or she might not be available all the time for you. So, it is recommended to look for an attorney having some support staff and resources to assist you in the event of emergency.
Please contact the law office of Ken Busman ESQ and request to schedule your free consultation with an attorney.
About Ken Busman ESQ
Ken Busman, Attorney at Law, with offices in Westchester NY and Rockland NY, serves clients throughout metropolitan New York City and the northern suburbs. Our key areas of practice include Bankruptcy Law, Real Estate Law, Accidents/Injuries Law, Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Divorce Law. We have been serving clients for over 30 years as Divorce Attorney and the first consultation is always free so we can assess if we would be the right fit to take on your case. Call our office today at 914-946-6555 to schedule your free consultation with a Divorce Attorney in Westchester County NY, Rockland County NY and surrounding areas.